Sunday, July 22, 2007

Cheap Wood Bench design


I have been wanting a bench for my porch. My house has rough cut wood siding with wood porch railing. So I wanted a wood bench to go along with this. My dad has recently retired and is picking up wood working as a hobby. He had previously offered to make simple furniture for us if there was something we wanted. So I asked him to make a wood bench for our porch.

My assumption was that an appropriate design would be readily available. However, we looked at a couple benches at the park and at Lowes and nothing was quite what I wanted. I also looked through a couple wood project plan books and we did an internet search. So being a mechanical designer I decided to create a simple design myself. To get the right overall dimensions I went back to Lowes tried out several plastic benches that they had to find the one that felt best. I then pulled out my tape measure and took it's dimensions. (Fortunately my wife was not there as she would have been embarassed. She was embarassed later when I told her.) So at home one evening I started drawing using AutoCAD and came up with what I think is a pleasing fairly simple design.

The design has the following features.

  1. It has a back that is tilted back several inches. Also the seat has a 2" backward tilt. Yet this is not so much that it is hard to get out of.

  2. It is made for two adults since I plan to relax there with my wonderful wife and watch the cars go by. It also seems to fit two adults and one little child between us as a couple of our children have figured out.

  3. It has arm rests.

  4. The construction is all from 2x4 lumber with all lapping joints that can easily be wood screwed together.

  5. I added optional routered edges on the arm rest and initial edge of the seat so it would be more comfortable.

The cost of materials is about $20 so it was less that the typical $90 bench at Lowes requiring assembly. The one tip I have for making it is to put at least one coat of paint, stain, or seal on the boards before assembly. It was difficult to work a brush into the corners and gap between the slats. The most difficult part for my dad was assemblying the ends. He had to use his tape measure and a square a lot to get them set right.


The 8 1/2" x 11" jpg format drawings pasted in below are detailed. I think you can copy them out and look at them larger scale in a photo viewer.






No comments: